Accounting and Bookkeeping Business Plan
The Sorcerer's Accountant is a small, successful, one-person accounting and tax preparation service owned and run by Max Greenwood, CPA in Chicago, Illinois. The firm offers tax accounting, management accounting, and QuickBooks set-up and training for small business clients. To move beyond a one person model, the business will expand its services to include bookkeeping services for small businesses. This will require an investment in marketing and staff to grow the business to include this complementary line of business. This business plan organizes the strategy and tactics for the business expansion and set objectives for growth over the next three years.
The business will offer clients bookkeeping services with the oversight of a CPA at a price they can afford. To do this involves hiring undergraduate student bookkeepers and a graduate student manager, keeping fixed costs as low as possible, and continuing to define the expertise of Sorcerer's Accountant through its website resources. The effect will be sales more than doubling over three years as 8 part-time bookkeepers are deployed to client businesses as needed, and salary and dividends to Greenwood increase substantially.
The Sorcerer's Accountant seeks to launch a new line of services - small business bookkeeping - which will be offered to the same ongoing clients as Sorcerer's Accountant currently seeks.
Sorcerer's Accountant has set the following objectives:
- To launch the bookkeeping services slowly, beginning with two part-time bookkeepers
- To achieve bookkeeping service annual revenues equal or greater to the current total revenues within three years (effectively doubling revenue)
- To achieve net profit of $60,000 in three years
- To employ 8 part-time bookkeepers in three years
The Sorcerer's Accountant seeks to provide a full suite of tax and management accounting services for small businesses in Chicago, Illinois, allowing business owners to not only save money over in-house accounting and ensure their compliance with tax laws, but to make valuable management decisions from their numbers.
Keys to Success
The keys to success for the accounting business include:
- Building trust with clients
- Maintaining up-to-date CPA certification and education on accounting practices and laws
- Going beyond saving clients money to proposing how they can increase their revenues
- Legal and ethical practices when it comes to transparency, reporting, and taxes
Category: Business plan